Thursday, September 20, 2007

FIVE YEARS TO LIVE WITH

This is odd for me. I'm 7k miles away from everyone. I've emailed more than 15 people since I got wind of "myevent." Yet, I lived in Seattle for 4 years (2001-2005) and I don't think I ever talked to more than 10 people I graduated with in those years.The weirdness is that when I lived in Seattle, I was too busy with Sailors, Tri-training or my desk to see the people around Seattle.When I was in the "Sandbox" I would tell my Sailors "Remember the people back home, there is your motivation to do your best." Irony was that I didn't see the people back home as much as I should have. I didn't know about any of the activities around the area with my fellow Alumni. And I lived in Kent.

I should have gone to the reunion to remember where I came from. I should have gone to know and learn about those people whose paths were either the same or vastly different from mine. I should have gone to remember those trails originated from the same ground 20 years ago. When I was at OCS, getting crushed by Marines, I kept in my mind that I would honor my family and never forget what got me there or where I came from. But, August 2007 rolled past and I literally put a mountain between me and my memories. There's something I'll have to live with for the next 5 years.
I've had 20 years to forget some of the bad thing about the beginning of senior year. However, I should have celebrated the other joys spent with those who got me through High School as a whole. Life is pretty darn good if you don't give up on it.

The "myevent" site is amazing. A flood of memories crashed down on me, but in a very good way. More like happiness for the people at the reunion and the past in general.

For those of you who went, consider yourselves lucky. Your Celebration was a success and I am extremely happy for all those who attended.

For 18 years of military life, it’s been drilled in me to accomplish the mission. I never failed a mission I was tasked with.
It is now my mission to be there and celebrate that quarter century milestone with you. I truly hope to see you there in 2012.

Take care. - Rome

No comments: